Sunday, August 28, 2011

They're baaack

So, it's been a couple weeks without a post.  Reason: I've been ambushed by 23 kindergartners (one still hasn't shown up... so technically 22).  I'm still alive, they're still alive... success.  We've hit the ground running and it has been non-stop, exciting, exhausting, stressful, and awesome!  I have a pretty cool class this year and already have a plethora of stories...

1.  On the 4th day of school (after phase-in), I get called to the principals office @ 8am.  One of the little darlings has been telling his mom I've been hitting him and choking him because I don't like him.  Awesome.  So, I'm sitting with the mother, older sister, student, and translator in the principals office.  Long story short, he's been having really bad separation anxiety and wanted to stay home and thought if he told his mom I beat him he could stay home (A+ for common sense)!  SO... Friday, the same kid looks up and gives me a big hug and tells me I'm his best friend in the whole world.  All is well.
2.  We've jumped head first into the wonderful world of writing (my favorite to teach).  We start by drawing pictures and orally telling the story.  My first masterpiece so far... (caption below)
"I'm the boy Miss Hall!  Can you tell which one is me??"  "Why yes, I certainly can."
I currently have this hanging on my fridge. :)

3.  I asked students to draw a picture of their family.  One little boy has drawn his 2 brothers and his dad, but is just sitting there looking very angry.  I asked him why?  He responds, "Well, I want to draw my momma, but right now I just don't like her."  I giggle inside and ask him why.  He continues with a look and tone that are imitating the frustration his feels, "Well, like I said, I don't like her because she busted my butt last night and wouldn't give me one of the delicious, warm oatmeal cookies she just made.  I'm good most of the time, I deserve a delicious cookie"
I have a feeling I will be writing many stories about this kid (he's the same from the previous post about holding his spit bubbles.  

5 comments:

  1. Awww that picture makes me think of a little red headed boy we taught one year... At least it looks likes something AJ would draw!! You are gonna have your hands full girlie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man Brittany, I love the stories...keep them coming!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brittany, can you please explain to me which one is you, and which one is your child in the picture... and why?

    ReplyDelete